Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Freedom Bird Blows In

Thanksgiving is upon us and being a clique American I will be eating a turkey.  However I will not be eating a butterball or the like because I don't agree with their methods.  I refuse to give my money to support giant turkey factories.    The people running these "farms" are concerned with one thing...money....cash is their God.  These turkeys have no life force, they were not raised in a turkeyish fashion.  I barely consider them turkeys.  They are also laden with antibiotics.  Antibiotics in food is a complex issue, but one of the main drawbacks it that the overuse and transfer of the antibiotics assist in the establishment of bacteria that is resistant to the antibiotics.  This renders the antibiotics useless and promotes superbugs.

Wild turkeys are great creatures; Benjamin Franklin wanted the wild turkey to be the national symbol over the bald eagle on the account that the eagles are kleptoparasites and turkeys are strutters.  Perhaps Ben liked that the males are polygamous or that they are bold enough to defend their territory.


Now, a bird that lived a more natural life on a small family owned farm sounds like it would be much more tasty and bursting with beneficial life force.  Last year I roasted a fresh turkey from Raleigh's Poultry Farm in Kings Park, NY.  This was without any doubt the most flavorful and satisfying turkey I have ever had...and I have had some amazing fried turkey in the past.  The fresh hen from Raleigh's was never frozen and was allowed to live and breath in a much better environment than the cavernous turkey factory warehouses.  I will be getting another local bird this year.

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more that we should always try to have naturally raised turkeys. Your passion is contagious and you are right about the possibility of the use of antibiotics in food potentially causing adverse reactions for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it wrong that I found this hilarious? All kidding aside, you are so right when you describe naturally raised turkeys and chickens as tastier and obviously healthier for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes...it is supposed to be funny. I feel bad for this lady as I would maybe feel scared as well, but it is just a 10lb turkey....just kick the damn thing. thanks for checking out my site.

      Delete
  3. I think the article is great. I learned a lot and intend to use the suggestion next year at Thanksgiving. Gerrie D'Angelo, Greer, SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gerrie, Thanks for checking out my site. I hope all is well and that you find a delicious local bird next year.

      Delete
  4. Where's a 20 gauge when you need one????

    This is a great post! I enjoyed both the information about the Bass and the attack of Tom the Turkey. Next Year I plan to travel to a local farm to get our Thanksgiving Turkey. Rocky and Susan , Charlotte, NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rocky and Susan, It was great to see you (Susan) and Kelly and her kids. You all look amazing and beautiful. Thanks for looking at my site and for considering a local turkey for next year.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed all the birds on your photostream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them are decent shots....I do enjoy getting close looks at them. I think if you keep up the feeding operation you may eventually get some close-up interaction as well. Thanks for checking my site out.

      Delete